Monday, July 23, 2012

Tin Can Treats



I found the original tutorial here and next time I do it, I will take more time and make labels and things like she did, but this time I just did it with leftover Halloween candy and some gift bags and wrapping paper I had laying around the house (Yes, I made these back in November and am JUST NOW getting around to posting the pictures!)

Here are the step-by-step instructions:

STEP 1 - GATHER YOUR SUPPLIES
  • Cans with pop tab lids I used fruit cans, but you can use any kind.
  • Candies for filling
  • Tissue paper
  • Hot glue gun
  • Wrapping paper or and decorative paper
  • Ribbon
  • Can opener
STEP 2 - REMOVE LABELS FROM CANS AND OPEN BOTTOM OF CAN


One lid (well, bottom) I took all the way off and one I left a hinge. Just to compare ease (the hinge made it easier to put back on)

Clean out the cans really well with soap and water so your candy won't smell like the food inside!

STEP 2 - FILL THE CANS

But, when you fill them, leave about an inch of room (you'll see why)

Fill them with whatever treat you like. It doesn't even HAVE to be candy. It could be another food (that keeps well without any special care) or even crayons or small toys... use your imagination!

I used regular Skittles for one and Sour Skittles for the other.







STEP 3 - FILL THE REST WITH TISSUE OR WRAPPING PAPER

Now, tissue paper will look much better than wrapping paper, but keep in mind that I was just using what I had around the house.



STEP 4 - GLUE THE LID BACK ON


Remember - This is the bottom of the can, so it doesn't have to look perfect... It just has to cover the whole edge in glue.

STEP 5 - ADD LABEL/WRAPPING AROUND CAN AND RIBBON




Once again, I feel the need to remind you that yours (and my next ones) will look better than this! These were made with leftovers from around the house.




No comments:

Post a Comment