Sunday, November 4, 2012

Home Organization 101: Week 5 - Laundry Room

My laundry room isn't very big. It's more of an off set as you walk past to go to the garage from my kitchen, but I definitely had a need to organize it! I wanted all of the items I use regularly to be within easy reach - rather than in the cupboards above the washer and dryer that are hard for me to reach! So here is what I did:

As you can see, there was plenty of space between the washer/dryer and the cupboards above. So I thought it was the perfect place for a shelf. So the shelf now holds everything that previously cluttered the top of my dryer. The bins are labeled from right to left: {Bra Baby, Lingerie Bags} {Color Catchers, Dryer Sheets} {Stain Removers, Febreze} {Don't Forget: Empty Your Pockets!} Then I have my Homemade Fabric Softener (just plain vinegar) and Homemade Laundry Soap and the the left of those a bin for everything that needs to go to the garage that I am too lazy to take right then. :)  Then a small garbage can for lint and an air freshener.

I moved all of the laundry products I use often to the shelf then all of my bulk laundry items (ingredients for the homemade soap,  bulk clorox and stain remover, etc) to the first shelf and the rest of my cleaning items to the second shelf. I don't have very many cleaning products and the ones I do have, I seldom use. I actually use vinegar for most of my cleaning. It kills most bacteria and germs - including salmonella (and even e coli if you mix it with salt or hydrogen peroxide!) So I don't really need those to be easily accessible.

Since I moved the cleaning supplies to the other cupboard, this one is pretty bare. I use it just for the lids to the bins on the shelf and refill air fresheners and an extra paper towel roll - just in case.

So that's it. My small (and now very organized) laundry room. It was a pretty easy project. The shelf gave me a little bit of trouble, but that was it. Everything, from start to finish, took about an hour.

Also see:

No Grate Homemade Laundry Soap


Also see:
Week 1 - The Kitchen
Week 2 - The Garage
Week 3 - The Pantry
Week 4 - The Office (Part 1)
Week 4 - The Office (Part 2)
Week 6 - The Master Bedroom
Week 7 - The Linen Closets
Week 8 - The Dining Room
Week 9 - Kids Closets
Week 10 - The Living Room
(And more still to come!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment